Think of all the personal and functional products you use every day: soaps, lotions, shampoos, cleaners, detergents, colognes, perfumes. All of these products we lather, slather, wash, spray, splash, and spritz ourselves with in order to maintain “good hygiene” actually expose us to hundreds of potentially dangerous chemical compounds with each use. Not only do these toxin-containing fragrances pose health dangers to humans such as cancer, birth defects, central nervous system disorders, migraines, and sinus problems, the Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) also enter the atmosphere and show up in the fatty tissues of aquatic wildlife like fish and shellfish.
Our article Choosing Natural and / or Organic Perfumes and Colognes already touches on the subject of the personal care industry and its lack of proper regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and we list several options for eco- and health-conscious consumers. But there's another fragrance-laden personal product men use every day that exposes users to skin allergies, neurological disorders, and respiratory issues: aftershave. While aftershave generally contains less fragrance and more alcohol than cologne, there alternatives out there that replace the petroleum-based chemicals with natural botanicals, which are better for the environment and your health.
AFTERSHAVE PRODUCTS AVAILABLE TO GREEN CONSUMERS
Weleda | (usa.weleda.com)
- Weleda's Smooth Shave Toner can be used either before or after shaving to refresh and tone the skin with natural ingredients including witch hazel, myrrh, and fragrances from essential oils.
- Weleda's Aftershave Balm soothes and moisturizes freshly shaven skin with organic jojoba seed oil, biodynamic aloe rich in vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, myrrh, shea butter, chamomile, and beeswax.
Miessence | (earnincome.mionegroup.com)
- Miessence's After Shave Balm soothes, tones, and refreshes skin and calms razor-burn with Australian Certified Organic ingredients like chamomile, marshmallow, aloe vera, witch hazel, and St. John's wort.
Herbal Choice | (rubber-ducky.com)
- Herbal Choice's After Shave Balm smoothes and moisturizes skin with unique, invigorating essential oils and without the use of harsh chemicals such as petroleum, parabens, dyes, or synthetic fragrances. This shave lotion's unique woody aroma and bay rum scent come from organic and wild harvested ingredients like olive oil, jojoba oil, bay leaf, sweet orange, cedar wood, lavender, lemongrass, thyme, sage, and many more. Not only is the After Shave Balm all-natural, vegetarian, vegan, and chemical-, preservative-, sulfate-, and cruelty-free, it's also packaged in bio-energy glass that can be reused and recycled.
The Gentlemens Refinery | (thegr.com)
- The Gentlemens Refinery After Shave Balm contains 100 percent natural, antibacterial ingredients (such as shea butter and jojoba, olive, geranium, lime, and sandalwood oils) that cool and moisturize the skin without the use of parabens or alcohol.
Burt's Bees | (burtsbees.com)
- Soften, moisturize, and nourish your skin with Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Aftershave that contains a combination of sunflower, coconut, lemon, orange, patchouli, fir needle, and rosemary oils and vitamin E that hydrates and nourishes without leaving skin greasy.
Aubrey Organics | (aubrey-organics.com)
- Aubrey Organics' Stock City Rhythms Aftershave contains ingredients like witch hazel, aloe, cedar, sandalwood, patchouli, bergamot, and ylang oils and is vegan, cruelty-free, and organic. This aftershave will leave your skin feeling cool, tingly, and smelling clean and sophisticated like cedar, sandalwood, and bergamot.